Thursday, June 9, 2011

Goodbyes are never easy

I said goodbye to by dear friend Terry last night. We knew this day would be here but with all the delays ("closed doors") It seem like it wouldn't ever arrive; so yes, I was in denial. Through the years as friends have been lead in different directions, we never thought that it would happen to us. I'm not one that gets "close" to people very easily, that I feel comfortable in calling upon any time day or night or/and talk to about anything. This has been hard on me as Terry was the "last friend" (if I could say it that way) in Alaska that I felt I could do so. I have other friends here but none as close as she after the others had moved. She has helped me, kept my accountable for staying close to God. We may not have agreed in everything--we had many debates--but it had helped me stop and think of what/why I believe the way I do and to search out the proof. (yes, she is a born-again Christian and her faith is firm or we wouldn't have been as close as we are).  We weren't able to get together as much as we had wanted/planned when they moved to North Pole but we chatted alot on the computer and we are looking forward to doing that again when they get settled in Iowa.

No, goodbyes are never easy but at least I know that I'll be able to pick up the phone and hear her voice again. I just won't be able to get together and actually see her with my eyes. It's like having to say goodbye to a love one that has passed on but at least I'll be able to pick up the phone and hear Terry's voice again but can't do so with my love ones that has passed on. I think those are the hardest goodbyes, when our loved ones has passed on, knowing that not only we won't see them but we won't actually hear their voices again. As I think back, it was harder for when my brother passed on than my dad because my dad had dementia (sp?) and didn't talk the last few times I was "home" before he died; but with my brother I was still able to talk with, both when I was "home" and on the phone. What makes some goodbyes a little easier as even though I won't see these loved ones or possibly these friends I'm thinking about again in this world, I know that one day I will see them again as they have all accepted Christ as their personal saviour as I, so I will see them again in heaven for sure. They are missed very much but I know I can always count on God for his comfort.

Having a close friend is a rare gift and having one nearby to see, to talk with, and spend time with, is even more of a blessing. A true friend knows all about you and loves you the same. A true friend is not afraid to tell you "how it is" when they know you need to hear it, even if it might hurt your feelings or make you mad at them. Terry is such a friend. I hope that everyone that was given such a rare gift that they won't take ever take advantage nor take it for granted of that rare gift that were given them from God because it is truly a blessing to have such a close friend that one can depend upon in both the good times as well as the bad times.

Cherish the friends that God has/have brought into your life and never take advantage of their friendship, no matter how long they are/have been in you life but thank God for them and their friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment